Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Why?

I don't really have anything funny to say here; I figured I would just write what comes to mind. At about 7pm on Memorial Day five people were shot at Southshore Park in Milwaukee. Two of those people died. One was only 17 years old. At the time of the shooting I was at my best friend's house not even 500 feet away. Apparently an argument took place prior to the shooting. The gunman then left and got a gun, returned, and opened fire into a crowded park. Why?

Someone had to go and tell this kid's mother that her son was killed in a park where he was celebrating Memorial Day. Someone has to tell her that it all started with a fucking argument. Over what? I have no clue. It doesn't matter. It shouldn't fucking matter. Apparently, though, it did, and now Milwaukee is left with its most violent Memorial Day in recent memory and the lives of two people have vanished. Why? Because someone decided that an argument is best solved by ending the lives of two people and forever changing the lives of countless others?

What could possibly be so angering that this guy had to go and get a gun - physically remove himself from the park and return with the intent to kill - and pull the trigger? I don't understand.

I don't know any of the victims. I'll probably never know any of them, but what I saw today is with me now forever. I watched as one of the survivors, drenched in his own blood, was placed in an ambulance and taken away. I watched a woman sob as she was questioned by the police. I watched as the two bodies were taken away to be placed in a fucking freezer at the morgue. Someone had to go identify the bodies tonight. People's lives have been ruined, and it all took less than 2 minutes.

This is one of those moments that should make me stop and appreciate my life, but all I can think about is what must have been going through that kid's head as his life was ended by a piece of shit with a gun and the inability solve his problems without violence. All I can think about is that kid's mother and the wife and children of the other guy that was killed.

Someone will inevitably try to find a glimmer of hope in this massive and unnecessary shitstorm. I can't believe that there is one. Right now it is 3am, I can't sleep, and all I can think about is how unnecessary it all was. Why did this happen?

Why?

No comments: